Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Shortest Close


On Thursday I had a chance to attend a lunch time seminar at the Tower Club at Tyson’s. A very impressive venue for MorganFranklin’s lunch-time seminar series. The topic- the ability to shorten the financial close. I was happy to see Emmett Pepe there, a long time friend and Controller at Broadsoft. Moderated by Caroline Leies, MD at MFC the speakers first presented some prepared remarks and then left the floor open for questions.
I asked a question at the end that I thought was going to get some more play than it did. I asked the panellists if they felt that their ERP systems were enablers for shortening the close. Based on the remarks I heard, technology still needs to go a long way before the controllers of this world see the systems as enablers of efficiency.
I was surprised with that however when I heard which systems these people were using, I was not surprised.
I hope that people will investigate the benefits that Oracle Release 12 brings to them. I think they will find a number of advances that will help them gain efficiencies out of the close process.

No comments: