Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bullying over tips?


So I had to leave my bag with the bellman today as I had to check out of the Bellagio before the training session was over. As I approached the outside bell stand I was approached by a bellman who started off his greeting to me by saying, "It's important for you to know that I will not be the bellman that will help you later, this claim check will need to be presented to get your bag, and it will likely not be me. Do you understand that? I said, "Yes, I understand" Bellman: "Is there any thing else I can do for you now." Me: "No, thanks", At that point the mildly terse look on his face turned completely dissmissive. As I began to pivot and turn away without putting my hand in my pocket He stood more errect with a look on his face which could only be intended to intimidate. His head cocked sideways, his hands at his sides, chest inflated.

I am thinking to myself... You have got to be kidding me. You think you deserve a tip with that attitude? Well forget that. As I turned away, I received a very disingenuous, salutation of, "Have a nice day" however it could have loosely been translated as, "Go f*ck yourself". I turned back with my own body language that said, "You want a piece of me?". Only to then turn away puzzled of such an abrupt conversation could happen over a checked piece of luggage. I shook my head in disgust and retruned to the hotel.

I walked back to the hotel and spoke with the front desk manager emphasizing that this is completely unacceptable behavior for someone in the customer service industry. He agreed and apologized profusely.

Considering the amount of money that I had used to reward dealers, waitresses and others I was disgusted.

Have any of you been put in that predicament? Have any of you been intimidated, felt like you needed to tip or run the risk of being harmed in some way? What is this country coming to. They say, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas however this is something I had to share with you all. Comments please?

No comments: