Tuesday, September 23, 2008

2008 Savageman Triathlon Festival- Deep Creek, MD


On Sunday, September 21, I completed the International distance of the 2008 Savageman Triathlon. This was my first time competing at this distance however I found I really enjoyed it- even more than the sprints I had completed earlier this year.
The event comprised of a 1.5 km open water swim, 24.3 mile bike ride through the hills of Deep Creek, and finishes with a 10k run. At the outset there were a number of things that were daunting about this race. Firstly, this is the first time I have done an open water swim- especially at that length. Secondly, I did not train for the bike or running on hills that were anything like these.
Overall I was pleased with my results. I finished 93 out 106 male competitors and 8th in the Clydesdale class (this is defined as competitors over 185 lbs.). So my initial fear about actually finished was drowned out when I saw that not only would I finish but I would also be competitive.
My times were as follows: Swim 37:45, Bike 1:35:27, and Run 1:08:14. If you include the transition times, my overall time was 3:38:20.
For me the interesting factor is that my transition times were particularly long, mostly due to hydration and nutrition. If I were to reduce these, even by a little bit, I would have finished much better in the Clydesdale division.
I wanted to say a few thank you’s.
Firstly, thanks to our swim coach Harriett. Without her I probably would still be there trying to find my way to the finish line. I appreciated her guidance.
A big thank you to Debbie and Steve for not only coordinating the house rental, the food, the cooking, but also acting as an inspiration to actually compete at this level.
I wanted to say thanks to the donors that helped me raise $1000 to fight Melanoma.And lastly, the most important one goes to my loving wife Jennifer who allowed me the time to train and gave me the support I needed even when I doubted my ability to do this. Without her support I would never have been able to take on such a challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Addi!! we are so proud of you. its quite an accomplishment. cant wait to see you guys soon.
Love,
the Feldys

Unknown said...

Well done, and I'm not surprised. If there's one thing you are good at, it is follow through. I think if I tried a triathlon right now, I'd need to be fished out of the water.
You rule, Jen rules.
Peej